The Gist, Slate’s evening news and opinion podcast, is looking for a producer to work closely with host Mike Pesca. Ideal candidates are regular Gist listeners and news junkies with a passion for news, politics, and provocative commentary.
Successful applicants can sort through torrents of information each day, identifying the stories that people will be talking about and the people who can elucidate them for Slate’s audience. They can operate at a daily-show pace; they do well working independently as well as collaboratively. They’re willing to work a flexible schedule, including evening shifts.
This position reports to the executive producer of Slate Podcasts, with daily guidance provided by the show host, and in collaboration with another producer. Slate’s offices remain closed for now, but this position will be based out of Slate’s offices in Brooklyn once we return from remote work. Working from Slate’s D.C. office or remotely elsewhere may be possible for the right candidate.
• Generate ideas and bookings for stories and guests
• Engineer recording sessions, including setting up remote connections
• Curate thorough and accurate prep and background material for the host
• Edit and mix recordings, shaping raw tape into natural and engaging audio
• Post podcasts and show pages to the CMS
• Work with Slate’s events coordinator on live Gist events and show tapings
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
• At least one year of intensive audio production experience in radio, podcasting, or equivalent, preferably in a journalistic environment
• Excellent writing, audio editing, and production skills
• Proficiency in professional audio editing software such as Adobe Audition, Hindenburg Pro, or ProTools
• Experience creating, producing, and/or hosting podcasts
• Passion for Slate’s editorial and audio content, particularly The Gist
If all this describes you, we look forward to talking with you.
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs.
To apply, please send your résumé and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include “Producer, The Gist” as your subject line.
This is a position covered under a collective bargaining agreement between Slate and the Writers Guild of America East.