Slate is hiring a producer to join its audience development and podcast teams. Ideal candidates think creatively about both connecting with our most loyal listeners and reaching new audiences. They can spot opportunities to bring our shows to potential listeners and know how to cut a compelling promo that convinces someone to subscribe. They have an audio producer’s skills and sensibilities but also are the first to spot digital media trends.
Slate values surprising ideas and smart analysis in our podcasts, and we want the same on our audience team. Producers should be creative and rigorous in finding ways to grow our listenership, able to look at numbers when appropriate as well as having an unimpeachable sense for must-listen audio. Ideal candidates will also manage our promotional schedules with precision and work collaboratively with the rest of the newsroom.
Slate has been podcasting since 2006 and now produces more than 20 ongoing shows, from the Political Gabfest (approaching its 15th anniversary) to the hit narrative series Slow Burn. The producer for audience engagement will report to the senior director of strategy and work closely with the executive producer of Slate Podcasts. This role will be based out of Slate’s Brooklyn or D.C. offices.
Help ensure successful show launches and grow the listenership of current shows
• Help manage our communication with Apple, Spotify, Overcast, Stitcher, and other platform partners
• Arrange and coordinate promotional swaps with outside shows and networks
• Help develop strategy for promoting podcasts on social channels and grow visibility of Slate shows on these platforms
• Work with the homepage team to highlight relevant shows and exceptional moments
Help develop promotional campaigns for the Slate Podcast Network
• Oversee creation and distribution of promos for Slate shows
• Work with show hosts and producers to promote high-profile guests and other show-specific initiatives
Understand what Slate’s listeners (and readers) want, and continually think of ways for us to serve our audience
• Help shape the strategy on Slate’s social media accounts and work closely with the rest of the audience development team on podcast and nonpodcast initiatives
• Work with editors across the newsroom and be aware of major projects in the works
• Use data to make decisions on how and where to promote our work
• Identify digital media trends and determine how Slate’s plans should adjust to them
• Experience with both audio production and copywriting on daily deadlines
• Experience working in the podcast industry
• Knowledge of Slate podcasts and the podcast landscape
• Strong understanding of data analytics
• Strong knowledge of social media best practices
• Interest in news, current events, and culture
• Strong communication skills, both written and oral
• Experience running brand social media feeds
• Experience in promotion or advertising
• Experience working for an online news organization
• Project management experience
To apply, please submit your résumé, links to your audio work, and a short (300 words or fewer) memo explaining what promotional strategy should be the top priority for Slate Podcasts in 2019 and why. Email documents to email@example.com including “Producer, Audience Engagement” in your subject line.
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs.
This is a position covered under a collective bargaining agreement between Slate and the Writers Guild of America East.