Slate is hiring a full-time political writer. Ideal candidates will be smart, funny, energetic, and opinionated with a knack for finding new stories and unexplored angles on familiar but important subjects. We’re looking for someone with excellent news sense and good judgment who writes sparkling copy. Minimum of five years’ journalistic experience required.
Reporting experience and experience working online strongly preferred. The position is on staff, with benefits. Slate welcomes candidates with diverse backgrounds and perspectives. The position can be located in New York or D.C.
• Writing and reporting on the biggest political stories of the day, month, year, and era
• Generating ideas for quick analysis, essays, reported features, cover stories, and conversation-starting (or conversation-ending) work on the political dynamics at play in the U.S.
• Operating as part of a politics team in a news cycle that never sleeps
• Collaborating with writers and editors across the magazine on larger sitewide initiatives
• A sharp, funny, interesting mind and pen
• At least 5 years’ experience working as a journalist, preferably with online experience
• A deep well of story ideas and understanding of the political landscape
• Top-notch communication skills
• Smarts, kindness, humor, and generosity, all of which will help you work well with smart, kind, funny, generous colleagues
To apply, please send a résumé and short cover letter to email@example.com. Please include “Politics writer” in your subject line.
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply.
This is a position covered under a collective bargaining agreement between Slate and the Writers Guild of America East.