Slate is looking for an Executive Assistant and Office Manager to be part of a dynamic digital media company. The individual in this role will manage Slate’s office in Brooklyn, New York, and provide day-to-day administrative support to the chief revenue officer and editor in chief. This is a unique opportunity to work closely with the management team and with award-winning journalists, podcast creators, and industry-leading design, business, and technology professionals.
The ideal candidate is a jack-of-all-trades with a strong attention to detail and the ability to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously. Applicants must be curious, problem-solving, proactive self-starters who are efficient, creative, and personable. An interest in media is preferred; the office is full of smart, kind, fun, and funny people who are constantly talking and thinking about the news itself, and journalism and digital media as an industry. Slate welcomes candidates from all backgrounds.
The executive assistant and office manager reports to the vice president of people operations.
Office manager responsibilities:
• Act as the point person for all things pertaining to office life
• Maintain a regular hourly schedule, be present in the office daily between 9:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.
• Manage office access by creating access fobs, maintaining access system, and managing guests
• Assist with onboarding and orienting new employees
• Work closely with other members of the operations team
• Work with outside vendors, including the building, to procure supplies and maintain office and computer equipment
• Facilitate and schedule internal and external meetings with various departments and clients
• Greet visitors and guests as needed
• Plan and execute office events and charitable efforts
• Organize and sort mail
• Ensure the office is tidy and well-stocked at all times
• Order groceries on a weekly basis and catering/treats as needed
• Other projects and initiatives as needed
Executive assistant responsibilities:
• Act as the point of contact between the executives and internal/external clients
• Manage executive appointment calendars by planning and scheduling both internal and external appointments, including meetings, conferences, teleconferences, and more
• Coordinate and schedule travel for a busy team
• Manage projects and conduct research; handle requests and queries appropriately
• Monitor company email aliases for reader feedback and story pitches
• Maintain confidence and protect our operations by keeping information confidential
• Prepare and file expense reports and invoices in a timely manner
• Prepare research for meetings and interviews
• Other duties and projects as assigned
Attributes of the ideal candidate:
• Top-notch communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to adapt to various requests and projects with ease
• High level of competency with minimal supervision
• Ability to maintain high level of discretion, professionalism, and confidentiality
• Magnetic personality: comfortable dealing with people all day long
• Proven ability to prioritize, problem solve, and work efficiently under deadlines
• Laser-sharp attention to detail and hyper-organized at all times
• Cool under pressure, ability to flex as needed in fast-paced environment
• Experience using the Google Suite of office tools as well as Microsoft Office and Keynote
• Ability to maintain a regular schedule of 9:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m., Monday–Friday, in the Brooklyn office
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
• Experience in a professional online newsgathering organization
• Passionate about Slate’s editorial and audio content
• You have a go-to karaoke song in your back pocket
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply.
To apply, please submit your resume and a short cover letter to email@example.com. Please include “NY EA” in your subject line.