Slate’s art department is seeking a paid summer illustration intern, based in our office in downtown Brooklyn. You’ll be collaborating directly with the design and editorial teams to create illustrations accompanying our published work sitewide. Our ideal applicant is someone who has a strong interest in journalism and storytelling, is embarking upon a career as an illustrator, and is hoping to create a portfolio of strong and expressive work for the future.
• Compiling visual research for feature illustration work
• Assisting in photo research for photo illustration work
• Working hands on with editors and writers across all departments of coverage
• Sketching, revision, and critical review with the design team
• Producing final published artwork on a fast-paced schedule
Candidates should also be open to and enthusiastic about collaboration and critical discussion of their work, as well as bringing new ideas to the table. The majority of our design team works remotely, and daily production can be fast paced at times; strong written communication skills are a must.
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply.
Applications for the 2019 illustration internship are now closed. For questions regarding this internship, please email email@example.com