Slate is hiring an experienced audio producer and manager to supervise our excellent morning news podcast, What Next, hosted by Mary Harris. The person we’re looking for is a deft and speedy audio editor, a news junkie with sound editorial judgment, and an organized, humane manager of people and projects. This person has a keen sense of what works and what doesn’t in audio, and a wealth of ideas. Ideally this person would have experience with and insight into both conversation-driven and scripted shows. This role is based out of Slate’s Brooklyn office.
• Manage, organize, and run a team of four producers, each with different roles, to create a daily morning news podcast hosted by Mary Harris
• Create and manage collaborations with the broader Slate newsroom
• Find and train guest hosts
• Work with the team to bring scripted shows—both newsy, daily shows and longer term projects—from conception to release: booking guests, recording, managing tape, editing, scoring, mixing
• At least five years of audio production experience in radio, podcasting, or equivalent
• Experience managing a team
• Excellent audio editing skills
• Great ideas and sound editorial judgment
• The ability to multitask and excel in a fast-paced work environment
• A genuine drive to stay up on the latest politics, tech, culture, and legal news
• An understanding of the daily news podcast market
• Smarts, kindness, and humor
The position is full-time, on staff, with benefits, and is located in Slate’s Brooklyn office. To apply, send a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com. Please include “Executive Producer, What Next” in your subject line.
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs.