Slate is hiring an editor. We are looking for someone with high energy, ambition, a strong sense of what is and isn’t important to cover, and a wealth of ideas about the news of the day—on any subject, whether cultural or political, and whether it comes out of D.C. or Hollywood or Silicon Valley or less well-trod locales. This editor must be hungry to analyze, clarify, and break news; be able to work with both staff and freelance writers of various levels of experience; and have excellent communication skills to succeed in a fast-paced news environment. It’s important that this editor be collaborative and flexible: We need someone who’s able to move between teams and stories as the news dictates. A typical day for this editor might involve making assignments and editing copy on several important and ongoing stories—and helping out several section editors at once. This editor would also be assigning and steering longer-range long-form stories, and would have a keen interest in shaping narrative journalism. The most valuable things you can bring to Slate are sharp editing skills, high interest in current events, and a real understanding of the kinds of arguments we strive to make here. Slate has offices (not currently open during the pandemic) in New York and D.C., though remote candidates will be considered.
• Editing analytic and reported coverage of the news
• Generating ideas for quick takes, explainers, essays, reported features, and cover stories
• Supporting and working with other editors
• Collaborating with writers and editors across the magazine on larger sitewide initiatives
• A sharp, funny, decisive mind and pen
• At least 2 years’ experience working as an editor or writer, preferably as part of a team
• A deep well of story ideas
• Top-notch organizational and communication skills
• Smarts, kindness, humor, and generosity, all of which will help you work well with smart, kind, funny, generous colleagues
To apply, please send a résumé and short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Editor” as your subject line.
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs.
This is a position covered under a collective bargaining agreement between Slate and the Writers Guild of America East.