Slate is hiring a Director of Media Relations to develop, maintain, and lead its media relations strategy and execution. This is a brand new role at Slate and will be instrumental in defining Slate’s philosophy and practices around media and public relations. You’ll collaborate closely with Slate’s business and editorial teams to assess, define, and prioritize Slate’s opportunities in order to create and execute programs and initiatives. You’ll be ultimately responsible for building and nurturing Slate’s industry network, and increasing Slate’s visibility in the world in the B-to-C (B2C) and B-to-B (B2B) marketplaces. This role is based in Brooklyn, New York.
The director of media relations reports to the chief revenue officer and will be primarily responsible for the following:
• Elevate Slate’s profile on a day-to-day basis by regularly pitching its content to people who are important in the media space
• Regularly seek high-level placements in print, audio, broadcast, and online media
• Build and maintain a list of media influencers who operate in Slate’s orbit (women’s issues, parenting, audio, legal, tech, business, politics)
• Regularly distribute Slate’s interesting pieces and projects to targeted lists of these media contacts, who may be inclined to engage and share. Get them to consume Slate content and then respond and link to it
• Forge and consistently nurture relationships with cable news producers to get Slate’s people booked on TV with Slate’s name attached
• Work with editorial leaders to pick out and grow Slate’s rising stars and get them external visibility
• Communicate broadly and loudly when Slate makes new editorial and executive hires, releases new shows, has its work prominently featured, or is working on a new and exciting project
• Collaborate with Slate’s audience development team to ensure consistent and sustained tooting of Slate’s horn
• Build out a schedule of internal and external communications to create a steady drumbeat of conversation about Slate’s work, our colleagues and the content and products they are creating, and the strength of Slate in the media space
• Develop strong understanding of Slate’s mission, culture, and values, and effectively incorporate it into PR initiatives and external communications
• Handle all media inquiries, bringing Slate’s executive team into the discussion when appropriate
• Manage scheduling of interviews and film crews with the help of the operations team as needed
• Draft press releases and byline articles
• Track and analyze key media relations results and performance indicators and report them to the executive team regularly
• Constantly grow media industry awareness and evaluate opportunities for partner relationships in the space
Qualifications of the ideal candidate
• 7–9 years’ experience in the PR or media relations industries
• Proven experience designing and executing successful soup-to-nuts PR or media relations campaigns for a well-known media organization
• Impeccable writing and verbal skills with emphasis on communicating clearly and accurately at all times
• Well-versed in social media platforms—including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.
• Bachelor’s degree in marketing, PR, communications, advertising, or comparable experience working in the PR or media relations industries
• A strong understanding of the media and journalism industries
• Strong project management skills
• Attention to detail
• Existing relationships with producers at MSNBC, CNN, and other cable news networks
• Event-planning experience
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply.
To apply please send your résumé and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include “Media Relations” in your subject line.