This position is no longer open.
Slate is hiring an editor to join its audience development and podcasts teams. Ideal candidates know how to ensure our best work—in both text and audio—finds a large and loyal audience. They have the instincts of a journalist and know how to write compelling headlines for our social media feeds, and they understand what inspires podcast listeners to subscribe.
Slate values surprising ideas and smart analysis in our journalism, and we want the same on our audience team. Editors should want to experiment with new strategies and test their assumptions as the podcast and social media ecosystems change. That means ideal candidates will own projects from start to finish and work collaboratively with the rest of the newsroom.
This role can be based in either NYC or D.C.
The audience engagement editor will report to the senior director for strategy and work with Slate’s audience team to:
• Manage the strategy and scheduling of existing social media accounts and help define the voice of Slate’s feeds
• Work with podcast leadership to shape our strategy for growing new and existing shows
• Create assets—including promos, show clips, audiograms, and quote graphics—to promote our shows
• Be involved in the editorial process from start to finish: attend idea generation meetings, plan campaigns to support major editorial packages, and execute those ideas to reach our audience
• Work with editors to write sharp and social-friendly headlines for the work we publish
• Use data to make decisions about how and where to promote our work
• At least 2 years’ experience working for an online news organization
• At least 2 years of social media experience
• Audio experience a plus
• An understanding of the role and importance of Slate’s journalism in the media landscape
• An interest in working closely with the rest of the newsroom, whether it’s framing a cover story for Facebook or pitching ideas at our weekly editors meeting
• The ability to write clean, clear copy with a light touch and wit where needed
• A desire to work collaboratively on projects and teach others what you know
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply.
This is a position covered under a collective bargaining agreement between Slate and the Writers Guild of America East.