This position is no longer open.
The Gist, Slate’s weekday evening news and opinion podcast, is looking for an associate producer to join our team. Ideal candidates listen to The Gist regularly and know terms like “Lobstar of the Antentwig” and “um Peru de Peru do Peru.” This position will be based out of Slate’s Brooklyn office and work closely with Mike Pesca and producer Daniel Schroeder.
The person we’re looking for has many skills: Someone who can sort through the torrents of information passing before our eyes each day and choose the two or three stories people will be talking about that evening and that require a closer look. Someone who can work quickly and efficiently, independently as well as part of a team.
The successful applicant will be a news junkie who keeps up with every development in news and politics.
This position reports to Slate’s editorial director of audio with daily guidance provided by the show producer and host.
• Generate ideas for one to three stories and guests per day, and book those guests
• Engineer recording sessions with the host and guests. Includes ability to set up remote connections.
• Edit recordings and produce professional-quality audio podcasts
• Post podcasts, show pages, and engage with social media
• Work with Slate’s events coordinator on live Gist events and show tapings
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
• At least one year of intensive audio production experience in radio, podcasting, or equivalent, preferably in a journalistic environment
• Excellent writing, audio-editing, and production skills
• Mastery of professional audio-editing software such as Adobe Audition, Hindenburg Pro, or ProTools
• Experience creating, producing, and/or hosting podcasts
• Passionate about Slate’s editorial and audio content
If all this describes you, we look forward to talking with you.
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs.
This is a position covered under a collective bargaining agreement between Slate and the Writers Guild of America East.