Slate is looking for an assistant podcast producer. The person we’re seeking will take on the production of some of Slate’s established podcasts and assist with the operation of the Slate podcast studios. This position will be based in Slate’s D.C. office.
The person we’re looking for has many skills. We seek an excellent audio editor with an ear for good conversation and analysis. They should be able to handle multiple projects while staying organized. They should be able to work quickly and efficiently, independently as well as part of a team. They should also feel comfortable in a studio environment and understand the basic concepts of recording and troubleshooting audio problems. Applicants must be proactive self-starters who are efficient, creative, and personable.
• Engineer recording sessions with hosts and guests, including setting up remote connections
• Edit recordings and produce professional-quality audio podcasts
• Post podcasts, show pages, and engage with social media
• Book podcast guests and facilitate their appearance on shows
• Work with Slate’s events coordinator on live podcast and show tapings
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
• At least one year of intensive audio production experience in radio, podcasting, or equivalent, preferably in a journalistic environment
• Excellent writing, audio editing, and production skills
• Mastery of professional audio editing software such as Adobe Audition, Hindenburg Pro, or ProTools
• Experience creating, producing, and/or hosting podcasts
• Passionate about Slate’s editorial and audio content
If all this describes you, we look forward to talking with you.
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know.
We will do what we can to meet your needs.
To apply, please send your résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Assistant Producer” in your subject line.
This is a position covered under a collective bargaining agreement between Slate and the Writers Guild of America East.