Listen to Outward by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
This month on Outward, hosts Christina Cauterucci, Bryan Lowder, and New America’s Brandon Tensley find out what it means to be radical. October is gay history month and so we’re honoring those radical queers who started to advocate for gay rights. First, they’ve got a compilation of radicalization moments from important queer figures, those times they felt pulled into the fight. Thank you to the Making Gay History podcast for the use of their archival tape. Then, they sit down with Angela Peoples, formerly of No Justice No Pride, and Brandon Cuicchi of Reclaim Pride to discuss how Pride parades have become commercialized and what they’re doing to take them back. Finally, the gang plays the game Radder Than Thou, where they debate which of two topics are more radical.
Items discussed on the show:
• “A Star Is Born Is Obsessed With Drag” by Bryan Lowder in Slate
• The Making Gay History podcast, particularly the episodes with Joyce Hunter, Sylvia Rivera, Frank Kameny, Ellen Degeneres, Jeanne and Morty Manford, Marsha P. Johnson and Randy Wicker, and Vito Russo
• A Star Is Born soundtrack
Gay Agenda items:
• Brandon: Another Country by James Baldwin
• Bryan: The Queen’s Throat
This podcast was produced by Daniel Schroeder.
Please send feedback, topic ideas, and advice questions to email@example.com.