Listen to the Waves by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
On this week’s episode of the Waves, Hanna, Noreen, and June discuss female sexual harassers. How do the gender dynamics of these cases impact the way we interpret and respond to them, and what are the consequences of the do-no-wrong glorification of #MeToo leaders when the reality is more complicated? Next, Kellyanne Conway and her (supposedly) Trump-hating husband are back in the spotlight, thanks to a wild profile of their marriage in the Washington Post. Is George Conway sincere, or is the couple just hedging its bets? Finally, Democrats are nominating more women to run for Congress than ever before—while the GOP is telling its female candidates not to run this year. Are moderate Republican women really a “dying breed”—and what might it mean for both parties if so?
Slate Plus: Are barbecues sexist?
Other items discussed on the show:
- “What Happens to #MeToo When a Feminist Is the Accused?” by Zoe Greenberg, in the New York Times
- “Asia Argento, a #MeToo Leader, Made a Deal With Her Own Accuser,” by Kim Severson, in the New York Times
- The letter written in support of Avital Ronell by her peers and colleagues
- “Kimberly Guilfoyle Left Fox News After Investigation Into Misconduct Allegations, Sources Say,” by Yashar Ali, in HuffPost
- “From Aggressive Overtures to Sexual Assault: Harvey Weinstein’s Accusers Tell Their Stories,” by Ronan Farrow, in the New Yorker
- “The Silence: The Legacy of Childhood Trauma,” by Junot Díaz, in the New Yorker
- “She Works for Trump. He Can’t Stand Him. This Is Life With Kellyanne and George Conway,” by Ben Terris, in the Washington Post
- “George Conway Is the Man at the Center of Everything,” by Ben Terris, in the Washington Post
- “As Democratic Women Surge, Ranks of Republican Women May Shrink,” by Sheryl Gay Stolberg, in the New York Times
- “ ‘Don’t Run This Year’: Perils for Republican Women Facing a Flood of Resistance,” by Kate Zernike, in the New York Times
- “Good Ol’ Girl,” by Hanna Rosin, in the Atlantic
- Hanna: NBC’s Making It
- Noreen: Billions on Showtime and Black Edge by Sheelah Kolhatkar
- June: The Netflix series Insatiable
This podcast was produced by Veralyn Williams. Our production assistant is Alex Barasch.
The Waves plugs: Please remember to like our Facebook page. Send your emails to email@example.com. Tell us what we should cover in the next episode. Finally, our summer call-in show is coming up! If you have a question you’d like the hosts to answer, call (646) 907-9859 to leave us a voicemail.