On this week’s episode, Rebecca, Carvell, and Gabe discuss their reactions to the Trump administration’s family separation policy. Then they talk with Katherine Goldstein about workplace discrimination against mothers and pregnant women and take a question from a mom whose daughter is getting old enough to notice her bad behavior.
Plus: parenting triumphs and fails, recommendations, and more. And on Slate Plus this week, Katherine shares an adulting triumph.
Mentioned on the show:
- Katherine Goldstein’s “The Open Secret of Anti-Mom Bias at Work”
- “Pregnancy Discrimination Is Rampant Inside America’s Biggest Companies” by Natalie Kitroeff and Jessica Silver-Greenberg
- Carvell’s “How to Parent on a Night Like This”
- Rebecca recommends two podcasts from New Hampshire Public Radio: Outside/In and Civics 101.
- Carvell recommends The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats. (Check out Rumaan Alam’s great Slate essay on the book.)
- Gabe recommends getting younger kids a word-search book such as this Minnie Mouse Word Search Activity Book. (It’s not exactly The Snowy Day.)
Follow us on Facebook and email us at email@example.com to tell us what you thought of today’s show and give us ideas for what we should talk about in future episodes. Got questions that you’d like us to answer? Call and leave us a message at 424-255-7833.
Podcast produced by Benjamin Frisch.