Prudence is joined by Jolie Kerr—a cleaning expert, advice columnist, and host of the podcast Ask a Clean Person. First, my sister is involved with a reckless and dangerous partner—what can I do to be supportive but also make sure she stays safe? Next, how do I tell my eager neighbor that I just don’t want to be friends? And lastly, my wife and I have been married for 35 years, but since last year, it seems she doesn’t want to have sex anymore.
And in response to a recent episode, many listeners wrote in with media and literature suggestions for the “Tired Asexual” letter writer who wanted to enjoy more stories not focused on romantic love. We’re including some of them below, but tune in to hear more.
- Pacific Rim
- Hot Fuzz
- The Heat
- Big Hero 6
- Ghostbusters (2016)
- Attack the Block
- The Secret of Kells
- Now and Then
- Stand by Me
- Power Rangers (2017)
- The Lego Batman Movie
- Death Proof
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- The Avengers
- Pete’s Dragon (either version)
- Fried Green Tomatoes
- The World’s End
- Pan’s Labyrinth
- Mad Max: Fury Road
- Local Hero
- Beasts of the Southern Wild
- Beauty Queens by Libba Bray
- Run by Kody Keplinger
- We Are Okay by Nina Lacour
- You Know Me Well by Nina LaCour and David Levithan
- The Inexplicable Logic of My Life by Benjamin Alire Saenz
- Girls Made of Snow and Glass by Melissa Bashardoust
- Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
- A Separate Peace by John Knowles
- The Bone People by Keri Hulme
- The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett
- The Stormlight Archive series by Brandon Sanderson
- The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
Access to the full Dear Prudence podcast is available exclusively to Slate Plus members. Learn more and listen to previous episodes at Slate.com/PrudiePod.
Got a question for Prudie? Send it to email@example.com. Or leave a voicemail message at 401-371-DEAR (3327), and you may hear your question answered on a future episode of the show.
Read Prudie’s Slate columns here. Production by Max Jacobs.