Listen to the DoubleX Gabfest by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
On this week’s DoubleX Gabfest, Invisibilia co-host Hanna Rosin, New York magazine’s Noreen Malone, and managing producer of Slate podcasts June Thomas interview former New Republic editor Franklin Foer about his time working with Leon Wieseltier and what he’s learned from the revelations of the last few weeks. Then the gabbers discuss gender identification, terms like gender-neutral and nonbinary, and raising children in gender-neutral settings. Finally, they talk about flexible work.
Slate Plus: Is “hooker fashion” sexist?
Other items discussed in the show:
- “Leon Wieseltier: A Reckoning,” by Michelle Cottle in the Atlantic
- “A Likely Story,” by Mimi Kramer in Medium
- “Please Stop Calling Sam Smith ‘Gender Non-Binary,’ ” by Kasandra Brabaw in Refinery29
- “Is Gender-Neutral Clothing the Future of Fashion?” by Olivia Peter in the Independent
- “Sweden’s Gender-Neutral Preschools Produce Kids Who Are More Likely to Succeed,” by Lila MacLellan in Quartz
- “What Europe Gets Right—and What It Gets Wrong—About Flexible Work,” by Haley Swenson in Slate
- “Why Women Still Can’t Have It All,” by Anne-Marie Slaughter in the Atlantic
Hanna: Code Girls, by Liza Mundy
June: American Vandal