Listen to the DoubleX Gabfest by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
On this week’s DoubleX Gabfest, Invisibilia co-host Hanna Rosin, New York magazine’s Noreen Malone, and managing producer of Slate podcasts June Thomas discuss Hugh Hefner’s legacy and the murky feminism of Playboy. Then, journalist Grace Lichtenstein joins them to talk about Battle of the Sexes and the actual events of the 1973 match, which she covered for the New York Times. Finally, they discuss Gloria Allred and the new profile of her in the New Yorker.
Slate Plus: Is dating older or younger men sexist?
Other items discussed in the show:
- “Speaking Ill of Hugh Hefner,” by Ross Douthat in the New York Times
- “Hugh Hefner Was My Enemy,” by Susan Brownmiller in the New York Times
- “Playboy Magazine’s Unlikely History of Abortion-Rights Activism,” by Sierra Tishgart in the Cut
- Thy Neighbor’s Wife, by Gay Talese
- Battle of the Sexes
- A Long Way, Baby, by Grace Lichtenstein
- “Gloria Allred’s Crusade,” by Jia Tolentino in the New Yorker
Noreen: The Hot One, by Carolyn Murnick
Hanna: The podcast The Butterfly Effect
June: Logical Family, by Armistead Maupin
Loyal fans of Slate’s DoubleX, please remember to like us on our Facebook page. Now we’ve also got a Twitter account @xxgabfest. Send your emails to firstname.lastname@example.org. Tell us what we should cover in the next edition.