Listen to the DoubleX Gabfest by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
On this week’s DoubleX Gabfest, Invisibilia co-host Hanna Rosin and managing producer of Slate podcasts June Thomas are joined by senior writer at Jezebel Kara Brown to discuss the detestable fad of teens inviting celebrities to prom. They also discuss missing white women syndrome and the new videos about sexual harassment from David Schwimmer.
Slate Plus: Is the “mother of all bombs” sexist?
Other items discussed in the show:
- The recent promposal to Emma Stone
- “Hey, Entitled Brats: Stop Inviting Celebrity Women to Prom,” by Amy Zimmerman
- The Boy Next Door
- Pretty Little Liars
- “Dirty Old Women,” by Ariel Levy in New York magazine
- “What We Know (and Don’t Know) About ‘Missing White Women Syndrome,’ ” by Gene Demby on NPR
- “How American Fails Black Girls,” by Morgan Jerkins in the New York Times
- David Schwimmer’s sexual harassment videos
Kara: No One Is Coming to Save Us, by Stephanie Powell Watts
Hanna: A request for moving sports biographies, and reading Rising Above: How 11 Athletes Overcame Challenges in Their Youth to Become Stars, by Gregory, Elijah, and Gabriel Zuckerman with your children.
Loyal fans of Slate’s DoubleX, please remember to like us on our Facebook page. Now we’ve also got a Twitter account @xxgabfest. Send your emails to firstname.lastname@example.org. Tell us what we should cover in the next edition.