Listen to Mom and Dad Are Fighting by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
On this week’s parenting podcast, Slate editors Allison Benedikt and Dan Kois talk to an Arlington, Virginia high school junior about his fight against school segregation. And then, it’s Dan’s final episode as co-host. We give him a heartfelt sendoff. Plus parenting triumphs and fails, recommendations, and a listener call about gender norms.
This week on Slate Plus, we keep the spotlight on Dan, who tells us all about how preparations for his family’s trip around the world are going.
Items discussed on the show:
- Washington Post coverage of the school rezoning fight in Arlington, Virginia.
- Matthew Herrity’s open letter to the Arlington County School Board.
- A Commonwealth Institute report on racial and income inequality in Virginia and U.S. schools.
- The episode when Dan considered forcing his daughters to get IUDs.
- The episode when Dan declared that he would only be getting his children one Christmas gift each.
- The episode when Dan dissed stay-at-home moms.
- The episode when Dan told a story about sorta helping two kids in a hot car.
- The episode when Dan talked about his unmatched socks fail.
Dan recommends this Quartz piece on even Apple acknowledging that iPads aren’t great in the classroom, as Dan has been saying all along.
Allison recommends the beautiful and fun picture book Undercover: One of These Things Is Almost Like the Others, by Bastien Contraire.
This week’s advertiser is Good Morning City.
Follow us on Facebook and email us at email@example.com to tell us what you thought of today’s show and give us ideas for what we should talk about in future episodes. Got questions that you’d like us to answer? Call and leave us a message at 424-255-7833.
Podcast produced by Zack Dinerstein.