Listen to Mom and Dad Are Fighting by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
In this week’s edition of Slate’s parenting podcast Mom and Dad Are Fighting, Slate editors Allison Benedikt and Dan Kois interview Arne Duncan, the U.S. Secretary of Education, about school integration, private versus public school, and the tech gap. Then Slate’s Ruth Graham comes on to talk about why some atheist or agnostic parents are nonetheless raising their children in church. Plus triumphs and fails, a listener question about racist grandparents, and more.
In our Slate Plus segment, we asked Ruth Graham for a recent triumph or fail.
Items discussed in the show:
- The two-part This American Life episode “The Problem We All Live With” by Nikole Hannah-Jones
- Allison’s story arguing that all Americans should send their kids to public school, “If You Send Your Child to Private School, You Are a Bad Person,” which somehow is only the second-most-hate-mail-inspiring piece she’s written at Slate
- Ruth Graham’s Slate story “Why Hold a Child Hostage to My Doubts?”
- Christel Manning’s book Losing Our Religion: How Unaffiliated Parents Are Raising Their Children
Mom and Dad recommend:
Allison recommends quiche.
Dan recommends listening to the Hamilton original cast recording with kids.
This week’s advertisers are:
- Little Passports. Keep your kids busy this fall with Little Passports, the award-winning subscription for kids. Right now, Mom and Dad Are Fighting listeners can save 40 percent on their first months today with promo code MOMANDDAD40. Learn more at littlepassports.com/momanddad.
- Prudential’s 40/40 Vision, a multimedia microsite exploring what life—and the future—looks like to today’s fortysomethings. Hear what inspires real people, the hopes they have for tomorrow, and much more. See yourself in their stories at slate.com/4040vision/family.
- Boll and Branch, the company that makes luxury bedding affordable. Get the nicest sheets you’ve ever owned for about half the price of what stores and boutiques are charging. For $50 off a set of sheets plus free shipping, go to bollandbranch.com and use the promo code MOMANDDAD.
Follow us on Facebook and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to tell us what you thought of today’s show and give us ideas for what we should cover in the next edition. Got questions that you’d like us to answer on a future episode? Call and leave us a message at 424-255-7833.
Podcast produced by Zach Dinerstein.