Listen to Culture Gabfest No. 535 with Dana Stevens, Julia Turner, and Stephen Metcalf with the audio player below.
On Slate Plus, the hosts answer a bonus question from a listener about the cultural catchphrases they use in their daily lives.
Go to Slate.com/cultureplus to learn more about Slate Plus and join today.
This week, Steve, Dana, and Julia answer listeners’ voicemails for our annual call-in show, discussing everything from their feelings about holiday music to whether their tastes in film and TV have changed since becoming parents. Then, they’re joined by June Thomas to debate the greatest cultural imports and exports—including the obscure ’70s cartoon that first sparked June’s fascination with America.
Links to some of the things we discussed this week:
• José Feliciano’s “Feliz Navidad”
• John Lennon and Yoko Ono’s “Happy Xmas (War is Over)”
• “O Holy Night“ as performed by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir
• Vince Guaraldi’s “Skating”
• The Waitresses’ “Christmas Wrapping”
• Bob Dylan’s Christmas in the Heart
• The Replacements’ All Shook Down
• Julia Davis’ Sally4Ever
• “ ‘Dressing a Refined Story With a Touch of Vulgarity’: An Interview With Elena Ferrante’s Art Director” by Miriam Krule in Slate
Outro: “Skating” by Vince Guaraldi
You can email us at email@example.com.
This podcast was produced by Benjamin Frisch and Alex Barasch.