Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Josh Levin and Vann R. Newkirk II:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen and join the discussion of this episode on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Josh Levin and guest host Vann Newkirk of the Atlantic are joined by the New Yorker’s Louisa Thomas to talk about what happened in the 2018 U.S. Open final between Serena Williams and Naomi Osaka, and how we should think about the confrontation between Williams and chair umpire Carlos Ramos. They’re also joined by Slate’s Derreck Johnson for an assessment of LeBron James’ new HBO series The Shop.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Follow Vann Newkirk on Twitter.
- Follow Louisa Thomas on Twitter.
- In Slate, Nick Greene broke down the chaos and controversy of the 2018 U.S. Open final between Serena Williams and Naomi Osaka.
- Josh’s Slate piece, “Carlos Ramos and Serena Williams Are Both to Blame for the Ugly U.S. Open Final”
- Thomas’ piece for the New Yorker, “Naomi Osaka’s U.S. Open Victory Against Serena Williams, Nearly Ruined by a Call Is Redeemed by Empathy and Grace”
- Rachelle Hampton’s Slate piece on how Serena Williams and her sister Venus paved the way for Osaka
- Follow Derreck Johnson on Twitter.
- Johnson reviewed The Shop for Slate.
- Watch the trailer for The Shop.
- “There’s Nothing Candid About LeBron’s The Shop,” wrote Billy Haisley in Deadspin.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly turnover backpacks:
Vann’s turnover backpack: Will the success of the Mike Bryan/Jack Sock doubles team make Mike’s twin brother Bob Bryan sad?
On this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, Josh, Vann, and Derreck Johnson discuss the just-released Kevin Durant/LeBron James hip-hop collaboration “It Ain’t Easy.”
Podcast production and edit by Patrick Fort.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.