Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Stefan Fatsis and Josh Levin:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen and join the discussion of this episode on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis and Josh Levin are joined by Deadspin’s Laura Wagner to talk about what’s behind Nike’s move to make Colin Kaepernick the face of its “Just Do It” campaign. They also interview Mark Leibovich about his new book Big Game: The NFL in Dangerous Times. Finally, Dave Sheinin of the Washington Post discusses his story about Brian Mazone, a baseball player who missed out on making it to the major leagues in the most agonizing way possible.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Follow Laura Wagner on Twitter.
- Colin Kaepernick is the face of Nike’s new “Just Do It” campaign.
- The New York Times on the Kaepernick-Nike alliance.
- Follow Mark Leibovich on Twitter and buy his book Big Game: The NFL in Dangerous Times.
- Read an excerpt from Big Game in Slate on Leibovich’s quixotic quest to interview Tom Brady.
- Bryan Curtis’ piece in the Ringer on Leibovich, “The Reporter Who Won’t Let the NFL Go Off the Record.”
- Follow Dave Sheinin on Twitter.
- Sheinin’s piece on Brian Mazone, “A Lifelong Dream Washed Away.”
- Baseball Reference’s lists of batters and pitchers who played only one career game in the majors.
- Notable one-game players include John Paciorek, Larry Yount, and Adam Greenberg.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Walt Stacks:
Stefan’s Walt Stack: A tribute to Stefan’s baller mom, who died last week at 92.
Josh’s Walt Stack: In praise of the turnover throne, which is way better than the turnover trash can.
On this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, Stefan and Josh discuss Roger Federer’s stunning U.S. Open loss to John Millman and the progress of Serena Williams’ comeback.
Podcast production and edit by Andrew Parsons.
You can email us at email@example.com.