Listen to Culture Gabfest No. 488 with Dan Kois, Bryan Lowder, and June Thomas with the audio player below.
And join the lively conversation on the Culturefest Facebook page.
On this week’s Slate Plus, Dan, Bryan, and June share the most embarrassing apps on their phones.
Go to slate.com/cultureplus to learn more about Slate Plus and join today.
This week, the critics discuss Season 2 of Ryan Murphy’s true-crime series American Crime Story, which stars Édgar Ramírez as Gianni Versace, Penélope Cruz as Donatella Versace, and Darren Criss as Andrew Cunanan. How does it stack up against the critically acclaimed first season, The People v. O. J. Simpson? Next, they turn to Paddington 2, a charming sequel to the children’s movie about a wee talking bear living in London. They unpack Hugh Grant’s sensational performance, critics’ warm reception to the film, and its unconventional views on prison reform. Finally, the gabbers discuss the current state of drag, including how mainstream attention has changed the art.
Links to some of the things we discussed this week:
- The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story
- Willa Paskin’s review of The Assassination of Gianni Versace in Slate
- The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story
- American Psycho
- “The Deracination of Andrew Cunanan” by Inkoo Kang in Slate
- Paddington 2 trailer
- “In Paddington 2, Hugh Grant Gives the Year’s First Oscar-Worthy Performance” by Ellin Stein in Slate
- “Is This the Golden Age of Drag? Yes. And No.” by Isaac Oliver in the New York Times
- RuPaul’s Drag Race
- “Drag Conquered Cable in 2017. Should Fans Be Excited or Worried?” by Miz Cracker in Slate
- The video of Miz Cracker dressing Bryan in drag for Slate
- “The Grunge Gold Rush” by Steve Knopper for NPR
- “Remembering the Life and Mentorship of Flawless Sabrina, a Queer Pioneer” by Charles A. McDonald in Slate
- The Trixie and Katya Show
June: Stone, a police procedural radio drama from the BBC
Bryan: The Queen documentary from 1968
Dan: Phantom Thread
Outro: “Last Night a DJ Saved My Life” by Indeep
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This podcast was produced by Daniel Schroeder.