Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Josh Levin:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen and join the discussion of this episode on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Josh Levin is joined by Paula Lavigne of ESPN’s Outside the Lines and Slate’s Ben Mathis-Lilley to talk about the Michigan State athletic department’s failures in dealing with sexual assault cases. ESPN’s Howard Bryant also joins to discuss the Australian Open, where Roger Federer won his 20th major championship, Caroline Wozniacki won her first, and Tennys Sandgren went from a fan favorite to a pariah in record time. Finally, the Root’s Damon Young helps assess the NBA’s first-ever all-star draft and the seeming implosion of the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Follow Paula Lavigne on Twitter.
- Lavigne and Nicole Noren wrote a piece for ESPN’s Outside the Lines on the expanding Michigan State scandal.
- Former Michigan State player and coach Travis Walton lived in coach Tom Izzo’s basement.
- Ben Mathis-Lilley’s Slate piece on whether anyone at Michigan State will go to jail for their role in the scandal.
- Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette says his office will investigate Michigan State football coach Mark Dantonio even though Dantonio wrote the foreword for Schuette’s book.
- An excerpt from Lavigne’s book on the Baylor sexual assault scandal.
- Roger Federer and Caroline Wozniacki won the men’s and women’s titles at the Australian Open.
- Wozniacki’s terrifying full-body cramping episode from 2009.
- Wozniacki ran the New York City Marathon in 2014.
- In a post-match interview, Federer said he got very nervous as he tried to close out his match against Marin Cilic.
- Tennys Sandgren struggled to defend his character and social media activity.
- Sandgren attacked the press for surfacing his controversial Twitter account.
- ESPN’s Jackie MacMullan has the scoop on the order of the first round of the NBA’s first ever all-star game draft.
- USA Today takes its best guess at the complete draft order.
- LeBron James and Stephen Curry both say the draft should’ve been televised.
- Russell Westbrook mistakenly thought he got picked last.
- Sports Illustrated on the Cleveland Cavaliers’ issues going into the trade deadline.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Logan Couture:
Josh’s Logan Couture: The strange tale of Eben Byers, socialite and golfer, who drank radium water until his jaw fell off.
Podcast production and edit by Patrick Fort.
Our intern is Jason Rosensweig.
You can email us at email@example.com.