Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Stefan Fatsis and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen and join the discussion of this episode on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen Stefan Fatsis and Mike Pesca are joined by David Epstein of ProPublica to discuss the latest on Russian doping: a report providing evidence of a state-run program that involved more than 1,000 athletes in 30 Olympic sports. They also run down news from Major League Baseball winter meetings with Sam Miller of ESPN. Finally, they talk with Jon Bois of SB Nation about Scorigami, the dark art of the final scores of National Football League games.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Mike’s kids were on Jimmy Kimmel Live!
- The second half of the Buffalo Bills–Pittsburgh Steelers game was delayed because snow plows pushed large piles of rubber pellets to the edge of the field.
- Follow David Epstein on Twitter and check out his work for ProPublica.
- The World Anti-Doping Agency released a report Friday that detailed Russia’s extensive doping program.
- Sally Jenkins of the Washington Post wrote, “the dunces at WADA wouldn’t know how to open a childproof pill bottle—unless it’s got cash in it.”
- Victor Mather and Rebecca Ruiz of the New York Times provided a list of the key findings from Richard McLaren’s report.
- Andy Bull of the Guardian wrote that Richard McLaren “exposed, with surgical precision, a great gaping wound in the Olympic movement.”
- Follow Sam Miller on Twitter and listen to Effectively Wild, his daily podcast on Baseball Prospectus.
- New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman called the Boston Red Sox “the Golden State Warriors of baseball” after they acquired pitcher Chris Sale.
- The Red Sox gave up Yoan Moncada, who is one of the best prospects in baseball, in a trade for Sale.
- Jeff Passan of Yahoo News wrote “the fear of qualifying offers napalming the free agent market has been overblown.”
- Baseball Prospectus analyzed Season 1 of the TV show Pitch.
- Follow Jon Bois on Twitter.
- Watch Jon’s video about Scorigami, “the art of building final scores that have never happened before in NFL history.”
- Check out the rest of Jon Bois’ work for SB Nation, including other videos in his “Chart Party” series.
- Visit Pro Football Reference’s list of every game score in pro football history.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Two-Point Tupas:
Mike’s Two-Point Tupa: Dick Allen finally won the affection of Philadelphia fans when he sang with his doo-wop group the Ebonistics.
Stefan’s Two-Point Tupa: Phil Rizzuto was terrified of lightning during his broadcasting career.
On this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, Stefan and Mike discuss a report that President-elect Donald Trump is considering former Chiba Lotte Marines manager Bobby Valentine as ambassador to Japan. Visit slate.com/hangupplus and try it free for two weeks.
Podcast production and edit by Mickey Capper.
Our intern is Shane Monaghan.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.