Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Stefan Fatsis and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen and join the discussion of this episode on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis and Mike Pesca are joined by journalist Jessica Luther to discuss the ongoing sexual-assault investigation involving the University of Minnesota football team. They also speak with Ramona Shelburne of ESPN about Ronda Rousey’s return to the UFC octagon more than a year after losing by knockout to Holly Holm. Finally, they examine the year in Cleveland sports, including the Browns’ potential winless season, with Cleveland native Scott Raab.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott jumped in a giant Salvation Army bucket after scoring a touchdown Sunday.
- Follow Jessica Luther on Twitter and buy her book, Unsportsmanlike Conduct: College Football and the Politics of Rape.
- Watch University of Minnesota wide receiver Drew Wolitarsky read a statement on the proposed boycott by him and his teammates.
- An 80-page report from the University of Minnesota detailed findings in a sexual-assault investigation of 12 members of the school’s football team.
- Sally Jenkins of the Washington Post wrote, “There are a million good causes over which a major college football team could boycott. This isn’t one.”
- Jessica Luther’s BuzzFeed story about a ballerina who became a spokesperson for sexual assault survivors.
- Follow Ramona Shelburne on Twitter.
- Shelburne profiled Ronda Rousey and how she is preparing to return to the UFC for ESPN the Magazine.
- Shelburne also profiled Rousey after her shocking loss to Holy Holm last year.
- Cris “Cyborg” Justino talked with ESPN about her strong negative feelings for Ronda Rousey.
- ESPN’s Outside the Lines examined the dangerous practice of weight-cutting in women’s mixed martial arts.
- Follow Scott Raab on Twitter and check out his book The Whore of Akron: One Man’s Search for the Soul of LeBron James.
- Preorder Scott’s new book, You’re Welcome, Cleveland: How I Helped Lebron James Win a Championship and Save a City.
- The Cleveland Browns fell to 0-14 after a 33-13 loss to the Buffalo Bills on Sunday.
- In 2013, an obituary for a Browns fan from Columbus, Ohio, requested “six Cleveland Browns pall bearers so the Browns can let him down one last time.”
- Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam said a homeless man helped convince him to draft Johnny Manziel in 2014.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Hector Marinaros:
On this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment Stefan and Mike discuss their dislike of the NFL color rush uniforms. Visit slate.com/hangupplus and try it free for two weeks.
Podcast and production edit by Mickey Capper.
Our intern is Shane Monaghan.
You can email us at email@example.com.