Listen to Culture Gabfest No. 414 with Dan Kois, Dana Stevens, and Jessica Winter with the audio player below.
And join the lively conversation on the Culturefest Facebook page here:
Go to slate.com/cultureplus to learn more about Slate Plus and join today.
This week on Slate Plus, the critics answer a listener question and choose books that changed the way they look at the world.
On this week’s Slate Culture Gabfest, the critics discuss the rise and fall of Gawker and the hole it will leave behind in the internet after 14 years. Next up, Kubo and the Two Strings, a stop-motion animated film from Laika Studios, has wooed film critics around the world, but will it impress the Gabfesters? Last, with lake-filled dreams and teenage nostalgia trips, the critics discuss their favorite pop culture vacations, good and bad.
Links to some of the things we discussed this week:
- Adrian Chen’s piece, “Unmasking Reddit’s Violentacrez, The Biggest Troll on the Web” in Gawker
- Ashley Feinberg’s piece, “Is Donald Trump’s Hair a $60,000 Weave?” in Gawker
- Gawker’s investigations into the Clinton campaign’s treatment of reporters
- Very Recent History by Choire Sicha
- Slate’s take on Gawker’s post about a male media exec being blackmailed by a sex worker
- Slate’s roundup of Gawker’s best posts over its 14-year existence
- Inside Out
- The Boxtrolls
- Fantastic Mr. Fox
- “Vacation” by the Go-Go’s
- Spring Breakers
- The Foreigner by Larry Shue
- Mark and Mike’s road trip comic strip in Doonesbury
- Doonesbury comic book Call Me When You Find America, by G. B. Trudeau
- François Ozon’s Swimming Pool and Sous le Sable
- Dana’s dark list: Nicolas Roeg’s Don’t Look Now and Walkabout, Picnic at Hanging Rock, and Deliverance
- Dana’s sunny list: Roman Holiday, The Daytrippers, Y Tu Mamá También
- The Remains of the Day
- Kelly Reichardt’s Old Joy
- Jessica Winter’s novel, Break in Case of Emergency
Culture Gabfest is brought to you by Boll and Branch. For luxury bedding at a low price, go to BollandBranch.com and use promo code culture for free shipping and 20 percent off your entire order.
And by Audible. Get a free audiobook with a 30-day trial today by signing up at Audible.com/culture.
And by Rocket Mortgage from Quicken Loans. Rocket Mortgage brings the mortgage process into the twenty-first century with an easy online process. Check out Rocket Mortgage today at QuickenLoans.com/culture.
Dan: Matthew Perpetua’s survey mixes of every year of the ’80s on Fluxblog
Jessica: You Will Know Me, by Megan Abbott
Outro: “Casanova” by LeVert
You can email us at email@example.com.
This podcast was produced by Ann Heppermann. Our intern is Lizzie Fison.