Listen to Culture Gabfest No. 410 with Stephen Metcalf, Dana Stevens, Chris Molanphy, and Julia Turner with the audio player below.
Subscribe in iTunes ∙ RSS feed ∙ Download ∙ Play in another tab
Slate Plus members: Get your ad-free podcast feed.
And join the lively conversation on the Culturefest Facebook page here:
Go to Slate.com/cultureplus to learn more about Slate Plus and join today.
This week on Slate Plus, we extend the Summer Strut and ask: What is the struttiest song on the Hamilton cast recording?
On this week’s Slate Culture Gabfest, the critics discuss the state of the songs of the summer. Are we in the musical doldrums, or is there a song that can alleviate the weight on our shoulders caused by the events of 2016? Next, listeners sent in almost 24 hours’ worth of songs for Summer Strut 2016. Chris Molanphy joins the gabbers to whittle that list down to their favorites.
Links to some of the things we discussed this week follow:
Summer Strut 2016 Shortlist on Spotify:
Summer Strut 2016 Shortlist:
- “One Dance” by Drake
- “Call Off Your Dogs” by Lake Street Dive
- “Am I Wrong” by Anderson Paak
- “Kill the Lights” by Alex Newell, Jess Glynne, DJ Cassidy (with Nile Rodgers)
- “Twenty Five Miles” Edwin Starr
- “Lovely Day” by Studio Rio Remix with Bill Withers
- “Prisoner” by Har Mar Superstar
- “Midnight Sun” by Isaac Delusion
- “Seventeen” by Sjowgren
- “Candy’s Room” by Bruce Springsteen
- “Break Over You” by Draper featuring Prides
- “Good as Hell” by Lizzo
- “Love as a Weapon” by Little Scream
- “Compared to What” by Roberta Flack
- “New Dorp, New York” by Sbtrkt featuring Ezra Koenig
- “Cactus” and “Golden Years” by David Bowie
- “Ponta de Lança Africano” by Jorge Ben Jor
- “Loudspeaker” by Muna
- “Back Pocket” by Vulfpeck
- “White Lines” by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
- “9 to 5” by Dolly Parton
- “Dust on the Bible” by Kitty Wells
- “Cannonball” by the Breeders
- “Lovefool” by the Cardigans
- “Shoop” by Salt-N-Pepa
Other songs mentioned:
- “Can’t Stop the Feeling!” by Justin Timberlake
- “Cheap Thrills” by Sia
- “Work” by Rihanna
- “I Want You Back” and “You Go Down Smooth” by Lake Street Dive
- “7 Years” by Lukas Graham
- ”Panda” by Desiigner
- “Clank Clank” and “Night Watch” by Grrrl Prty
- “Compared to What” by Les McCann and Eddie Harris
Culture Gabfest Summer Strut 2016 full Spotify playlist (22 hr, 40 min)
Past “Summer Strut” Gabfests are available here: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
The Culture Gabfest is brought to you by Open Account, a podcast that gets personal about making, losing, and living with money. Created by Umpqua Bank and hosted by SuChin Pak, download and subscribe to Open Account wherever you get your podcasts.
And by Green Chef. Their organic meal kits make it easy to cook healthy and feel great about where your food comes from. Get four meals free with your first order when you go to GreenChef.com/culture.
Dana: Michelle Obama on Carpool Karaoke with James Corden
Julia: The Seventh Fire directed by Jack Pettibone Riccobono
Chris: The Lobster directed by Yorgos Lanthimos
Stephen: “Different Drum” by the Stone Poneys
Outro: “Shoop” by Salt-N-Pepa
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This podcast was produced by Ann Heppermann. Our intern is Lizzie Fison.
Follow us on Twitter. And please Like the Culture Gabfest on Facebook.