Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Josh Levin, Mike Pesca, and Shira Springer by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen and join the discussion of this episode on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Josh Levin and Mike Pesca are joined by guest panelist Shira Springer of the Boston Globe to discuss Kevin Durant’s unexpected move to the Golden State Warriors and whether the Warriors will destroy the rest of the NBA. They are also joined by Sky Sports presenter Bryn Law for a conversation about Wales’ unlikely run to the semifinals of soccer’s European Championships. Finally, they talk with Sally Jenkins of the Washington Post about the life and legacy of basketball coach Pat Summitt.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Kevin Durant announced his move to the Warriors in the Players’ Tribune.
- In Slate, Josh explains why Durant signed with Golden State.
- NBA players and ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith react to the news.
- The Ringer writes about what’s next for the Oklahoma City Thunder.
- Follow Sky Sports presenter Bryn Law on Twitter and check out his book about Wales’ qualification for the 2016 Euros, Zombie Nation Awakens.
- Wales is playing in its first major tournament since the 1958 World Cup.
- The soccer underdogs will play Portugal in the semifinals, pitting Wales’ Gareth Bale against Real Madrid teammate Cristiano Ronaldo.
- Follow the Washington Post’s Sally Jenkins on Twitter.
- Sally remembered Pat Summitt, writing about her influence as a coach and her brave decision to go public with her diagnosis of early onset Alzheimer’s.
- ESPN analyst Kara Lawson paid tribute to Summitt in this video.
- Gary Smith’s 1998 Sports Illustrated profile of Summitt recounts the time she went into labor while on a recruiting trip.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly fierce foemen:
Mike’s fierce foeman: Commending the great and obscure sports jokes in the Netflix show Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.
Shira’s fierce foeman: Olympic runner Boris Berian is embroiled in a contract dispute with Nike.
Josh’s fierce foeman: Borrowing from Players’ Tribune announcements, including Kevin Durant’s, Josh talks podcasting, life, and what it means to be a man.
On this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, Josh Levin, Mike Pesca, and Shira Springer discuss U.S. swimmer Katie Ledecky, high jumper Vashti Cunningham, sprinter Justin Gatlin, and what’s grating about the Michael Phelps redemption narrative. Visit slate.com/hangupplus and try it free for two weeks.
Podcast production and edit by Mickey Capper.
Our intern is Laura Wagner.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.