Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Josh Levin, Mike Pesca, and June Thomas by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen and join the discussion of this episode on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Josh Levin, Mike Pesca, and guest panelist June Thomas discuss Serena Williams’ historic Wimbledon win and whether we have reached Peak Serena. They’re also joined by the Irish Times’ Ken Early to discuss Portugal’s victory over France in the European Championships. Finally, Meghan O’Rourke joins the show for a conversation about the evolution of gymnastics, the dominance of the U.S. women, and what to expect in this summer’s Olympics.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Christopher Clarey of the New York Times wrote about Serena Williams’ historic win.
- FiveThirtyEight’s Carl Bialik on how Williams continues to dominate despite her age.
- Margaret Court still holds the record for most major titles with 24—but they didn’t all come in the Open Era.
- Venus Williams fought for equal pay for female tennis players.
- Follow Ken Early on Twitter and read his work in the Irish Times.
- Ken wrote about Portugal’s win in a mediocre final of a mediocre European Championships.
- In Slate, Franklin Foer argued “Portugal’s turgid victory was the dreadful ending this terrible European Championships deserved.”
- Portugal star Cristiano Ronaldo injured his knee less than 10 minutes into the game.
- Here’s the deal with all those moths that invaded the pitch.
- Follow Meghan O’Rourke on Twitter.
- The U.S. Olympic Trials in women’s gymnastics were this weekend. Here are the final five team members.
- In the Atlantic, Meghan reviewed Dvora Meyers’s book The End of the Perfect 10, about the evolution of gymnastics.
- Meyers explained Simone Biles’ dominance in a Slate piece in 2014.
- Watch Biles do a double-double dismount off the balance beam.
- Soviet gymnast Larisa Latynina competed in the 1958 World Championships while four months pregnant.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly MyKaylas.
Mike’s MyKayla: Some NBA summer league games look a lot like high school.
June’s MyKayla: An endorsement of the TV series Make It or Break It.
Josh’s MyKayla: Rich male golfers skipping the Olympics (allegedly because of Zika) is why golf doesn’t deserve to be an Olympic sport.
On this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, June Thomas, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca revisit Kevin Durant’s move to the Golden State Warriors and what it means for the NBA. Visit slate.com/hangupplus and try it free for two weeks.
Podcast production and edit by Mickey Capper.
Our intern is Laura Wagner.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.