Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen and join the discussion of this episode on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca discuss the upcoming NBA conference finals. Next, Slate’s deputy editor John Swansburg joins to talk about Stephen Curry’s deal with Under Armour and why his shoes don’t have more cultural cachet. Finally, they assess whether the Rio Olympics should be moved or cancelled due to the Zika virus.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Rougned Odor punched Jose Bautista in the face during a bench-clearing brawl.
- The Toronto Raptors will have a rough time against the Cleveland Cavaliers.
- The Oklahoma City Thunder and Golden State Warriors’ Western Conference final could be a classic playoff series.
- The referees screwed the San Antonio Spurs twice in their series against the Thunder.
- Josh wrote in Slate about how the Spurs are the NBA’s model franchise.
- The Cleveland Cavaliers hit a record 25 three-pointers in a single game against the Atlanta Hawks.
- Slate’s John Swansburg asked the question, “Why Does the World’s Best Basketball Player Wear Such Corny Sneakers?”
- Ethan Sherwood Strauss of ESPN explains how Under Armour poached Stephen Curry from Nike after a poor pitch meeting.
- According to the Wall Street Journal, Under Armour reported a major jump in revenue during Q1 of 2016.
- Stephen Curry says the Curry Three shoe will “have a more lifestyle feel.”
- Amir Attaran says that due to Zika’s spread, “Rio de Janeiro’s 2016 Olympic games must not proceed.”
- The World Health Organization released a statement about Zika and how athletes and visitors should proceed.
- Marc Siegel of Slate states that “it is the fear of Zika, not the threat of the virus itself” that’s scaring people away from Rio.
- Arthur L. Caplan explained in New York that there isn’t “a good diagnostic test” for Zika.
- Zika isn’t the only problem Brazil is facing heading into the Olympics.
- Bonnie D. Ford of ESPN covered Rio’s broken promise to clean its water.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Tinker Hatfields:
Mike’s Tinker Hatfield: The Atlanta Braves are a terrible offensive team.
Stefan’s Tinker Hatfield: The National Bowling League has a fascinating history.
Josh’s Tinker Hatfield: A critique of BuzzFeed’s piece on O.J. Simpson and CTE.
On this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, Mike Pesca, and John Swansburg discuss Russell Westbrook’s loud fashion statements. Visit slate.com/hangupplus and try it free for two weeks.
Podcast production and edit by Mickey Capper.
Our intern is Julia Karron.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.