Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen and join the discussion of this episode on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca are joined by ESPN’s Ethan Sherwood Strauss to discuss the Golden State Warriors’ humiliating Game 3 loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder and the history of low blows in the NBA. Next, they discuss the art and science of minor-league baseball team names with Jason Klein of Brandiose. Finally, they are joined by Greg Howard of the New York Times to discuss ESPN’s new race, sports, and culture site the Undefeated.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Follow Ethan Sherwood Strauss on Twitter and read his work at ESPN.
- Ethan says the Warriors looked “flat before getting flattened” in Sunday night’s Game 3.
- The Warriors diverged from their typical defensive strategy against the Thunder.
- Draymond Green kicked Steven Adams in the groin.
- Dahntay Jones was suspended for his groin shot to Bismack Biyombo.
- Tom Haberstroh of ESPN chronicled the NBA’s low blows.
- Alan Siegel of Slate wrote about Jason Klein’s company, Brandiose, which came up with minor-league baseball team names such as the Richmond Flying Squirrels, Hartford Yard Goats, and Akron RubberDucks.
- The Binghamton Mets are picking a new team nickname. The options: Bullheads, Gobblers, Rocking Horses, Rumble Ponies, Stud Muffins, and Timber Jockeys.
- Vote for the new team name here.
- The New York Times finds Binghamton residents who think those name options are “absurd.”
- Patrick Redford of Deadspin states, “Only You Can Help Saddle This Minor League Baseball Team With A Dumb Name.”
- Follow Greg Howard on Twitter.
- Read Greg’s Deadspin stories on Jason Whitlock and the Undefeated from June 2014, April 2015, and October.
- Editor-in-chief Kevin Merida lays out his vision for the Undefeated.
- Stories published thus far on the Undefeated include a piece on Robert Griffin III’s downfall in Washington and a profile of Marshawn Lynch.
- Kevin Draper of Deadspin states, “ESPN’s vision of its future is good for sports fans, for now.”
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Daytona Tortugas:
Mike’s Tortuga: Advice for Hillary Clinton on how to answer a question about a Mark Cuban vice presidential nomination.
Stefan’s Tortuga: What’s the best bird-themed minor-league team name?
Josh’s Tortuga: St. Louis Browns owner Chris von der Ahe was the original sports huckster.
Julia’s Tortuga: Why you should be paying attention to the National Women’s Hockey League.
On this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca discuss whether journalists should clean up quotes from players if they’re not in Standard English. Visit slate.com/hangupplus and try it free for two weeks.
Podcast production and edit by Mickey Capper.
Our intern is Julia Karron.
You can email us at email@example.com.