Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen and join the discussion of this episode on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca discuss the Warriors’ 7–9 season, Kobe Bryant’s final game, and whether referees are biased against Jeremy Lin. Next, they discuss the Los Angeles Rams’ decision to trade up for the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft, and whether the Rams should pick North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz. Finally, they discuss the NBA’s decision to place advertisements on jerseys starting with the 2017–2018 season.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Josh wrote in Slate about how Kobe Bryant’s last game was very Kobe-esque.
- The Smoking Gun has the transcripts from Bryant’s sexual assault case.
- Even though the Warriors blew out the Rockets in Game 1, Stephen Curry’s ankles might be a problem.
- The fan-made video compilation of Jeremy Lin getting fouled.
- The New York Times on the Lin video.
- The NBA’s response to the video included statistical support for the claim that the referees aren’t biased against Lin.
- Tom Haberstroh of ESPN disagrees, saying there might be statistical evidence of ref bias.
- A security guard was skeptical that Lin plays in the NBA.
- The Los Angeles Rams traded with the Tennessee Titans to get the No. 1 pick in this year’s NFL draft.
- ESPN’s analytics team broke down the numbers behind the trade.
- Kevin Van Valkenburg’s profile of Carson Wentz in ESPN the Magazine.
- Pro Football Focus debates the merits of Wentz and Jared Goff.
- NBA owners voted to allow advertisements on jerseys starting in the 2017–2018 season.
- A brief history of jersey sponsorships.
- David Whitley of the Orlando Sentinel made a terrible argument against jersey ads.
- The Dallas NBA D-League team plays on Chihuahua Court.
- Paul Lukas of ESPN argues that ads on jerseys “chip away at fan-team bond.”
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Black Death Vodkas:
Mike’s Black Death Vodka: The first round of the NHL playoffs is more dramatic than the first round of the NBA playoffs.
Stefan’s Black Death Vodka: Kevin Cash did not wear a uniform in Cuba and instead opted for a T-shirt. For shame.
Josh’s Black Death Vodka: A great project to provide gravestones for Negro League players.
Podcast production and edit by Zack Dinerstein.
Our intern is Julia Karron.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.