Listen to Culture Gabfest No. 389 with Stephen Metcalf, Dana Stevens, and Julia Turner
And join the lively conversation on the Culturefest Facebook page here:
Go to slate.com/cultureplus to learn more about Slate Plus and join today.
This week on Slate Plus, Julia, Dana, Steve and Carl talk about the cultural experiences that have moved them to tears.
On this week’s Slate Culture Gabfest, Carl Wilson joins to discuss Kendrick Lamar’s new album, Untitled Unmastered. How does it compare with its predecessor, To Pimp a Butterfly? Next up, the gabbers weigh in on the New York Times Magazine special issue on the American workplace. How is office culture evolving in a digital age? Finally, novelist Matthew Pearl discusses his recent piece in Slate on the untold story of the eradication of the original Ku Klux Klan. How did President Ulysses S. Grant develop a strategy to break up the group’s stronghold?
Links to some of the things we discussed this week follow:
- Kendrick Lamar’s To Pimp a Butterfly and Good Kid, M.A.A.d City
- “Alright” and “The Blacker the Berry” from To Pimp a Butterfly
- The episode names from Mr. Robot
- The movie This Is Spinal Tap
- Tracks from Untitled Unmastered: “Untitled 03,” “Untitled 06,” and “Untitled 08”
- Carl’s review of this year’s Grammys with a video of Kendrick Lamar’s performance
- The New York Times Magazine work issue
- The Mary Tyler Moore Show
- Virginia Heffernan’s piece, “Meet Is Murder”
- Charles Duhigg’s piece, “What Google Learned From Its Quest to Build the Perfect Team”
- Matthew Pearl’s piece on the original Ku Klux Klan in Slate
The Slate Culture Gabfest is brought to you by the Great Courses Plus, a new video service with more than 5,000 lectures. As a member, you can watch as many lectures as you want, anytime, on any device. And for a limited time, Culture Gabfest listeners can watch The Fundamentals of Photography—for free—by visiting TheGreatCoursesPlus.com/culture.
And by Club W, leading the “grape to glass” wine revolution. Answer just six simple questions at ClubW.com and its algorithm will create a Palate Profile just for you. Get wine delivered directly to your door, perfectly customized to match your taste. For 50 percent off your first order, go to ClubW.com/culture.
And by Amazon. Detective Harry Bosch is back on the new season of Amazon’s original series Bosch, based on the best-selling novels by Michael Connelly. Stream the new season on March 11 on Amazon Prime Video.
Dana: The Birth of a Nation, especially the Kino edition
Outro: “Love Is All Around” by Hüsker Dü
You can email us at email@example.com.
This podcast was produced by Ann Heppermann. Our intern is Lindsey Albracht.