Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen and join the discussion of this episode on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca discuss the Denver Broncos’ Super Bowl win over the Carolina Panthers and assess whether a defensive struggle can ever be aesthetically pleasing. They’re also joined by New York Giants offensive lineman Geoff Schwartz for a player’s perspective on the greatness of the Denver defense. Finally, Rob Tanner of the Leicester Mercury joins the show to explain how underdog Leicester City Football Club rose to the top of the table in the English Premier League.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- The Denver Broncos’ superb defense carried them to a win over the Carolina Panthers.
- In Slate, Jeremy Stahl writes that it was hard to tell if the Broncos defense was that good or the Panthers offense was that bad.
- The 10 saddest, most futile moments in a terrible, terrible Super Bowl.
- Neil Paine of FiveThirtyEight describes this Super Bowl as one of the best defensive matchups in history.
- Barry Petchesky of Deadspin on Cam Newton’s lackluster postgame press conference.
- Geoff Schwartz’s tweets on the Super Bowl.
- You can follow Rob Tanner’s blog on the Leicester City Football Club.
- Leicester City beat Manchester City 3–1 on Saturday.
- Leicester City’s payroll is near the bottom of the Premier League.
- How is Leicester City playing so well?
- Jamie Jackson of the Guardian profiles Jamie Vardy.
- Vardy started from the bottom, now he’s here.
- All you need to know about Leicester City’s Thai sex-tape scandal.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly King Powers:
Stefan’s King Power: High school football coaches follow the lead of Roger Goodell in spouting nonsense to put parents at ease about their sons playing football.
Josh’s King Power: Elvis Presto’s Be-Bop Bamboozled halftime show at Super Bowl XXIII bamboozled Bob Costas and television viewers.
On this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca are joined by Slate correspondent Justin Peters to discuss his belief that Broncos-Panthers was the 11th-worst Super Bowl of all time. Visit slate.com/hangupplus and try it free for two weeks.
Podcast production and edit by Jayson De Leon.
Our intern is Julia Karron.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.