Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen and join the discussion of this episode on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca discuss Michigan football coach Jim Harbaugh’s recruiting tactics and whether the SEC is more unethical than other conferences. Next, they are joined by PFT Commenter, who shares his strong takes on the NFL and Super Bowl 50. Finally, Jon Wertheim joins the show to discuss his new book, This Is Your Brain on Sports.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- ESPN.com says that “Michigan recruiting has a perception problem.”
- Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh says that recruiting is a “meritocracy.”
- Harbaugh wanted to sleep over at a kicker’s house to convince him to come to Michigan.
- Harbaugh’s cryptic tweet after allegations that Michigan pulled scholarship offers from committed football players.
- Harbaugh had a a history of breaking commitments to recruits at Stanford.
- LSU pulled its scholarship from Elliott Porter after he already moved to campus.
- Enjoy some delicious official visit cakes.
- Ben Mathis-Lilley of Slate explains that PFTCommenter is the Stephen Colbert of sports.
- PFTCommenter’s most-popular tweets.
- PFTCommenter on Cam Newton and reverse racism.
- PFTCommenter writes that “Cam Newton disrespected police by calling Peyton Manning ‘The Sheriff.’ ”
- PFTCommenter’s take on Donald Trump.
- Jon Wertheim and Sam Sommers’ new book, This Is Your Brain on Sports.
- Are quarterbacks better looking than the average football player?
- Harvard Business School’s study on building Ikea furniture.
- Listen to Wertheim’s podcast, which is also called This Is Your Brain on Sports.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly blueshirts:
Mike’s blueshirt: Chris Russo is not happy that people don’t know the answer to his trivia question.
Stefan’s blueshirt: A close reading of Adam Schefter’s bookshelf.
Josh’s blueshirt: Was Boston College–Wake Forest the worst college football game of 2015 or the worst football game of all time?
On this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca are joined by Greg Wyshynski to discuss John Scott’s MVP performance in the NHL All-Star Game. Visit slate.com/hangupplus and try it free for two weeks.
Podcast production and edit by Jayson De Leon.
Our intern is Julia Karron.
You can email us at email@example.com.