Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Stefan Fatsis, Mina Kimes, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Slate Plus members: Get your ad-free podcast feed
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen and join the discussion of this episode on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Mina Kimes, and Mike Pesca talk about the end of “The Process” to turn the Philadelphia 76ers into a championship team. They are joined by Sam Miller of Baseball Prospectus to discuss baseball’s newly minted juggernaut, the Chicago Cubs. Finally, they interview University of Minnesota punter Peter Mortell, who has given himself a prestigious award: college football’s Holder of the Year.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Mina Kimes writes for ESPN the Magazine.
- Follow Mina on Twitter.
- NFL Whimsy Watch: Colts QB Charlie Whitehurst played on Sunday. Fans were not amused.
- Sports Illustrated’s Richard Deitsch asked Sixers beat reporters what it’s like to cover a historically bad team.
- Last week, the 76ers signaled the end of “The Process” by hiring former Phoenix Suns owner Jerry Colangelo.
- Ken Berger of CBS Sports reported that NBA Commissioner Adam Silver brokered the Colangelo hiring.
- The Sixers might add former NBA head coach Mike D’Antoni to its staff.
- Sixers GM Sam Hinkie defended the team’s strategy to ESPN’s Zach Lowe.
- Follow Sam Miller on Twitter.
- Preorder Sam and Ben Lindbergh’s new book, The Only Rule Is It Has to Work: Our Wild Experiment Building a New Kind of Baseball Team.
- Baseball Prospectus’ Sahadev Sharma said the Cubs are the best team in baseball.
- Sports Illustrated’s Tom Verducci examined why so many baseball people don’t like new Cubs outfielder Jason Heyward.
- There are no Cubs left from the team GM Theo Epstein inherited when he was hired in 2011.
- University of Minnesota punter Peter Mortell named himself college football’s Holder of the Year.
- ESPN’s Scott Van Pelt recognized Mortell’s achievement.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Berwangers:
Mina’s Berwanger: The previously untold story of Mina’s visit with Arizona Cardinal Patrick Peterson’s mom.
Stefan’s Berwanger: In 1967, Sports Illustrated staged a showdown between straight-on and soccer-style kickers.
On this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, Stefan Fatsis, Mina Kimes, and Mike Pesca discuss New York state’s daily fantasy sports crackdown and Mina’s ESPN the Magazine story about two victorious fantasy bros. Visit slate.com/hangupplus and try it free for two weeks.
Podcast production and edit by Zack Dinerstein.
You can email us at email@example.com.