Listen to Culture Gabfest No. 365 with Stephen Metcalf, Julia Turner, and Dana Stevens
And join the lively conversation on the Culturefest Facebook page here:
Go to slate.com/cultureplus to learn more about Slate Plus and join today.
This week on Slate Plus, the hosts discuss their favorite personal narratives in response to Laura Bennet’s recent Slate piece about how this form has taken over the Internet.
On this week’s Slate Culture Gabfest, the critics discuss the second season of You’re the Worst, a single-camera anti-romantic comedy on FXX. Is the show asking interesting questions about the genre of the romantic comedy, or is it cartoonishly toxic? Next, the critics weigh in on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert. How is “Stephen Colbert” the conservative political character different from Stephen Colbert the late night host? Finally, in a recent Slate piece, David Auerbach argues that people who are suspicious of technology might have a valid point. Who were the Luddites, and is it OK to be one?
Links to some of the things we discussed this week follow:
- Links to tickets for upcoming Slate live shows
- You’re the Worst
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
- Curb Your Enthusiasm
- The Late Show With Stephen Colbert
- The Colbert Report
- The Late Show episode with Joe Biden
- “The Colbert Factor,” Dana’s review of The Colbert Report from 2005 in Slate
- The Late Show With David Letterman
- The Tonight Show With Jay Leno
- The Daily Show With Jon Stewart
- Last Week Tonight
- The Tonight Show With Johnny Carson
- Colbert Report: The Debut of the “Late Show” in Grantland
- The Charles Manson episodes of the podcast You Must Remember This
- “It’s OK to Be a Luddite” by David Auerbach in Slate
- “Is It OK to Be a Luddite?” by Thomas Pynchon
Julia: The Tumblr Dictionary Stories
Steve: The Making of the English Working Class by E.P. Thompson
You can email us at email@example.com.
This podcast was produced by Ann Heppermann. Our intern is Lindsey Albracht.