Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Dan Steinberg by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:
Become a fan of Hang Up and Listen and join the discussion of this episode on Facebook here:
In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post discuss a federal judge’s decision to vacate Tom Brady’s Deflategate suspension and a new ESPN story on the Patriots’ rule breaking. They also talk about the Washington NFL team’s decision to bench Robert Griffin III and the general manager’s wife accusing an ESPN reporter of trading sexual favors for scoops. Finally, Yahoo’s Jeff Passan joins the show to assess the back and forth between the New York Mets, pitcher Matt Harvey, and Harvey’s agent Scott Boras over whether the star pitcher should stop pitching to protect his arm from further injury.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
- Follow Dan Steinberg on Twitter and read his columns in the Washington Post.
- Slate’s Jack Hamilton on Roger Goodell’s fall and Rob Hamilton on how “the NFL’s Deflategate defeat will reverberate for years.”
- Legal analysis of Deflategate from Michael McCann and Andrew Brandt.
- ESPN.com’s Don Van Natta Jr. and Seth Wickersham on “Spygate to Deflategate: Inside what split the NFL and Patriots apart.”
- Dan’s Washington Post story on the Washington NFL team’s handling of quarterback Robert Griffin III.
- Former pro soccer player Alecko Eskandarian wrote on Twitter that the doctor who evaluated Griffin “nearly caused me brain damage.”
- The wife of the team’s general manager accused an ESPN reporter of trading sexual favors for scoops.
- Yahoo’s Jeff Passan on how the Mets and Matt Harvey should proceed to ensure the pitcher remains healthy.
- Harvey’s agent Scott Boras says the Mets star shouldn’t throw more than 180 innings this season.
- Harvey’s piece in the Players’ Tribune: “I Will Pitch in the Playoffs.”
- Harvey has flip-flopped on the need for an innings limit.
- Passan on baseball’s glut of arm injuries.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Brent Stroms:
Stefan’s Brent Strom: The storied history and sad decline of PF Flyers sneakers.
Dan’s Brent Strom: A small percentage of people win the vast majority of prizes in daily fantasy sports.
Josh’s Brent Strom: Delving into a 1970s-era baseball flour bomb mystery.
On this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Dan Steinberg discuss the challenges of writing a newspaper sports column circa 2015. Visit slate.com/hangupplus and try it free for two weeks.
Podcast production and edit by Zack Dinerstein.
You can email us at email@example.com.