Listen to Culture Gabfest No. 354 with Julia Turner, Dana Stevens, and Chris Molanphy with the audio player below.
Subscribe in iTunes ∙ RSS feed ∙ Download ∙ Play in another tab
And join the lively conversation on the Culturefest Facebook page here:
Go to slate.com/cultureplus to learn more about Slate Plus and join today. This week on Slate Plus, the critics discuss their musical firsts, including the very first concert they ever attended.
On this week’s Slate Culture Gabfest, the gabbers discuss Love & Mercy, the new biopic about the Beach Boys’ Brian Wilson. How does it stack up against other music biopics? Next up, music critic Chris Molanphy helps sort through contenders for Song of the Summer. Is there a clear winner? Finally, it’s the fifth anniversary of Summer Strut! The gabbers review listeners’ picks for Summer Strut 2015.
Links to some of the things we discussed this week follow:
- Love & Mercy
- The Beach Boys’ Pet Sounds
- Mike Love at the 1988 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductions
- Marissa Visci’s piece in Slate on the accuracy of Love & Mercy
- I’m Not There
- “Uptown Funk” by Mark Ronson (feat. Bruno Mars)
- Furious 7
- Chris Molanphy’s piece in Slate on Wiz Khalifa’s “See You Again”
- “I Know There’s Gonna Be (Good Times)” by Jamie XX (feat. Young Thug & Popcaan)
- “Cheerleader” by Omi
- “I Can’t Feel My Face” by the Weeknd
- “Trap Queen” by Fetty Wap
- Chris Molanphy’s piece in Slate on Taylor Swift’s “Bad Blood”
- “Sexual Healing” by Marvin Gaye
- “Ignition” by R. Kelly
- “Ignition” by the Wind and the Wave
Some 2015 Summer Strut favorites below:
“Kinks Shirt” by Matt Nathanson
“On the Regular” by Shamir
“10,000 Emerald Pools” by Borns
“REALITI” by Grimes
“Fantasy” by Mariah Carey
“Genius of Love” by Tom Tom Club
“Sexual Healing” by Hot 8 Brass Band
“Need Ur Luv” by Charlie XCX
“Eleanor Rigby” and “The Weight” by Aretha Franklin
A playlist of listener strut submissions on Spotify.
Past “Summer Strut” Gabfests are available here: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Dana: Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
Julia: A Very Special House by Ruth Krauss, illustrated by Maurice Sendak
Chris: Miguel’s Wildheart and President Obama singing “Amazing Grace” during his eulogy for Clementa Pinckney, plus a segment from Bill Moyers on “Amazing Grace.”
Outro: “Friday I’m in Love” by the Cure
You can email us at email@example.com.
This podcast was produced by Ann Heppermann. Our interns are Lindsey Albracht and Marissa Visci.
Follow us on Twitter. And please Like the Culture Gabfest on Facebook.